Follow the Moskva down to Gorky park
Gorky Park is the central Moscow park, located in the heart of the city
Gorky Park, inaugurated in 1928, stretches along the banks of the
Moscow River. It is divided into two main parts – the Neskuchny Garden, which
dates back to 1753, and the ‘Parterre’, which dates back to the All Russia
Handicraft and Agricultural Exhibition held in 1923.
Upon opening, in the early 1930s, the Park was an instant hit. It became famous not only as an outstanding example of Avant-garde
architecture, designed by the famous architect Melnikov, but as the first venue
of its kind, revolutionizing leisure in Soviet Russia. It was even
sometimes referred to as the «Leisure machine» in that time.
The post-soviet Gorky Park was onceamusement park with fun fairs, roller
coasters and other carnival rides including a Ferris wheel and one of the
mock-ups (test units) from the Buran space shuttle program.
All of that changed in 2011 when Gorky Park was completely redesigned and remodeled. The rides have been removed in order to transform the place
into an eco-friendly recreational area. In March of 2011 the city appointed
Sergei Kapkov director of the 120−hectare, or 300−acre, Gorky Park. He abolished the entrance fee and cleared the park of outdated carnival rides and junk food stalls, while bringing the focus back to more sporty activities
such as aerobics, yoga and salsa dancing, all taught by qualified instructors.
As well as creating completely new attractions such as a pétanque cafe and
an open-air cinema. With free Wifi, contemporary public art projects, design
fairs and a new cafe lineup, Gorky Park is now one of the most popular places
Every winter the park hosts an 18,000 square meter ice rink, with separate
zones for children, hockey, dancing, and general skating.