ru
Новости

Historic public bathroom reopened in Gorky Park after restoration

1/2

Built in the 1930s, the bathroom belongs to the architectural heritage of the Park. The building was constructed by architect A.V. Vlasov while he was working on the general development plan of the park which claimed the Grand Prix award at the International Exhibition in Paris in 1937. The author blended the construction into the surrounding landscape essentially creating a full-scale art composition. The bathroom is located underground and is covered with grass. This was an innovative approach which makes the building stand out from the rest of the Soviet architectural legacy. The space is symmetrically divided into men's and women's sections. Cabins for the renovated building have been recreated according to the original design. Carved ledges, tiled heaters and the peculiarly shaped sinks have all been restored as part of the renovation.The circular toilet rooms are the centerpieces of the building. Their dome-shaped roofs made of glass let the sunlight in creating a natural illumination inside. The graphic floor tiles, carved window frames, fake fireplaces and semi-circular benches have also been carefully restored.